Documentation You May Need Prior to an International Move

6 July 2015
 Categories: , Articles

Moving internationally is not the same as moving across town. There are many different things you must take care of prior, during, and even after the move. The last thing you should have to worry about is moving your actual belongings. By using an experienced international moving company, this is one less thing to worry about. This will leave you time to focus on all of the documentation that may be involved in your move. 

Start the Process

You need to start working on your documentation for your move, as soon as you know you are moving. Requesting passports for you and your family can routinely take 4 to 6 weeks. Even if you expedite it, you can be facing as many as three weeks, but this process may take longer during high peak times, or if the agency is having any type of difficulties. 

Know What You Need

Other forms of documentation you may need will depend on the country you are traveling to. Some of the most common forms of documentation are as follows:

Visa—A visa will give you permission to enter your new country for a specific period of time and for a specific purpose. The time it takes to secure a visa can vary depending on which country you are attempting to enter or move to. If you are moving for business reasons, your employer may help you to take care of this. If not, make sure you research the requirements and apply for this document well in advance of your move.

Vehicle Titles & Registrations—If you are moving any type of ATV, boat, or other licensed vehicles, you will be required to have this information, and it must be current. You may have to show this to customs prior to leaving the country, as well as upon entering your new country. You will need to do your research to ensure the country you are headed to will accept the vehicles you are bringing, this list can change with no advance notice. Many countries will not accept vehicles that are over a certain age, and most will charge you tariffs and taxes on the vehicles you are importing.

Certifications of Registration—By having proof of previous possession of any foreign made goods, such as your electronics, cameras, bicycles, and more, can help you register these items, and keep you from having to pay an excess duty on them. You can take care of this process at your local customs office.

Letter of Recommendation—Some countries will require you to have, and be able to produce to their embassy, a letter of recommendation. This is used to be able to show you are financially responsible. While some countries are specific on who this letter must come from, others are not. It may be generated by your bank, a public official, friend, or even a family member.

Vaccinations & Medical Records—Most countries will require you to show proof that you and your family have been vaccinated against certain diseases. Most of these are routine vaccinations that you have probably already had. These include:

  • MMR
  • Chickenpox
  • Tdap
  • Meningococcal
  • Hepatitis

Other vaccinations may be required due to a risk of contracting the virus in the country you are visiting. Some of these may include:

  • Typhoid
  • Yellow Fever
  • Malaria
  • Hepatitis A
  • Encephalitis
  • Polio Booster

​These requirements can also change from time to time, and will be different from country to country. Ensuring you and your family has the proper vaccinations well in advance of your move will make sure you have enough time to monitor for any negative reactions anyone may have to the vaccinations.